Chora's Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Theory

Go down

New Theory Empty Re: New Theory

Post by smash016 Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:03 am

Well, I have to think about it a bit more in order to call it a "theory"... But I want to say now the following:

- The main reason Reapers despise organics is because of our mortality.

- Therefore their "salvation" means they grant us eternal life by ridding us of our corporeality, the boundaries of biological life.

- The entire trilogy places a remarkable and persistent emphasis on virtual reality (VR).

- Legion hints at VR ("software minds") as the next evolutionary step.

- The Reapers were given a mandate to preserve all life by any means.

- Shepard is seemingly immortal (the Lazarus Project miracle).

- Thus: Reapers put harvested races in a virtual reality, and that's that realm beyond our comprehension.

- It's the only way the (known) lore allows for eternal life and what's happening to Shepard.

- Now, a Reaper's gestalt consciousness (hive mind) is the product of all those minds harvested in its creation ("We are each a nation").

- Rachni employ an organic form of quantum entanglement to maintain an organic hive mind.

- Organics have found in (artificial) quantum entanglement a way to manipulate a Reaper's consciousness, or alternatively, to infiltrate the VR realm.

- Shepard is the agent of change here, the Catalyst if you will -- "You have altered the variables" (Catalyst), "Your code is superior" (Legion).

- Everyone encountered after a certain point might be dead in reality, only remaining as software in the VR realm. Hence the emphasis on themes of death, afterlife, underworld, redemption for so many characters. This is a thematic layer, subliminal almost, meant for the player.

- But the VR storage is only a temporary solution for whoever's pulling the galactic strings. The ideal solution is the synthesis of flesh and machine. It would remove the need for harvesting altogether.

- I think Sovereign might be more important than we think, even after ME1 -- "There is no war, only the harvest" (Leviathan), "Finish your war, we will be waiting" (Reaper on Rannoch) -- the nature of the Reaper war is uncertain. Meeting the Intelligence on the Citadel ("This is my home") at the very end, could mean we've been fighting a war in Sovereign's gestalt consciousness.

This is the short version. I'm still trying to figure out other elements.
smash016
smash016
Admin

Back to top Go down

New Theory Empty New Theory

Post by smash016 Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:23 am

oh hai guis, i hav new idea

Or more properly, the next chapter of my fan fiction.

- All Reapers are "each a nation", a Gestalt consciousness of the organic minds harvested.

- The Reapers supposedly save us through destruction, but at face value, it's hard to recognize any saving in their methods.

OK, typing on an iPad, will have to finish this later. Unbearable.
smash016
smash016
Admin

Back to top Go down